A focus of my Board report this month is school attendance. Parents and caregivers will…
Western Springs College Football Programme 2021/2022
Welcome to Western Springs College’s football programme. We have been formally running the programme for 10 years now, with some significant successes.
- We are excited to continue seeing the increasing number of girls involved in the football programme at WSC. It’s our aim to provide football opportunities for all players and so we had two girls teams in 2021. The 1st X1 is aimed at those players who want the challenge of playing in the Auckland Girl’s Premiership, with and against the best players from across Auckland. While for many players, our 2nd X1 is a great starting point to get involved in football, and/or for the Year 9 students gaining experience playing alongside girls from different year groups. We are blessed with players from Y9 to Y13 who want to have fun and grow their skills in a positive and friendly environment that welcomes players of all ages and abilities.
- The Girls 1st XI team competed in the Auckland Premiership for the first time in the 2017 season. They had played in the A1 competition in 2018 – 2020. This year the team won their pre-season playoff game to gain promotion to the Premiership again with a very young squad. The season provided valuable experience to the team and in particular the Year 9 and 10 players preparing them for another season of Premiership football in 2022.
- Andy Vernon has coached our Girls 1st X1 for the last three years, while in his current role as Football Development Manager at Western Springs AFC, continuing to coach girls and boys throughout the club. A particular highlight during his three years at WSC has been seeing the progress made by players both in school football and beyond, which has included players going on to play in the National Women’s League. He is excited about growing the number of girls playing football and wants to support all players with their football goals.
- Our Boys Senior 1st XI had played in the Auckland A2 competition since 2014. In 2019 the team won promotion into the A1 competition and in 2020 and 2021 had put themselves in strong contention for promotion to the Premiership before Covid-19 cut both seasons short. This year they had an exciting run in the 1st XI Knock Out Cup which was ended with a loss to Auckland Grammar in the Semi Final, however a highlight of the season was the Quarter Final away win over Sacred Heart College. Greg Uhlmann took over coaching the 1st XI this year from John Cunningham who had been in the role for the previous 10 years. Greg has a wealth of experience playing for Central United, Auckland City, Bodens BK Sweden, NZ U23, NZ National Team and two FIFA Club World Cups in Dubai and Japan. During which time winning four Chatham Cup, six National League, one Swedish League and two O League titles. He is looking forward to coaching the 1st XI again in 2022 and build on the successes of 2021 with the exiting group of young talented players we have at the school.
- Our 2nd XI won the 2019 2nd XI Championship and have been at the top end of the Championship the last two years. This team trains in a 1st and 2nd XI squad and with Mike Maggs coaching them. The team continues to develop and prepare our young players for 1st XI football.
- We have been able to (since 2018) enter a boys team in the 13A and 14A/15A competitions. These are an exciting group of players, which together with our Year 10 and 11 players already playing in the 1st and 2nd XI teams, have the future of our programme looking very exciting. Maurie Wasi has coached our 13A team for the last two years, and is looking forward to continuing again in 2022.
- In 2021 we had over 150 students playing in six boys and two girls teams. These eight teams playing in competitive or the more social competitions.
We believe strongly in working with the players to support and develop their footballing skills, while being mindful of their commitments and opportunities with club football and academic schedules. In the end we want to prepare them for and open up as many opportunities as we can for their futures beyond their time at Western Springs College.
Girls and Boys Football is classified as a ‘tier 1’ sport at Western Springs College, and consequently we receive strong support from the College’s Principal and Sports Department.
The normal football season will operate from May – September 2022, with training/trials beginning mid- late February. The girls will play their games on a Wednesday afternoon and the boys on Saturday mornings, with the exception of the boys 1st XI which will typically play on Friday night.
Whether you are an existing or new WSC student in 2022 (Year 9-13), and you are interested in joining the football programme, please follow the link below to provide us with your contact details so that we can get in touch in 2022 to confirm the start of the training and ID sessions.
We look forward to hearing from you.
WSC Football Programme Manager