In week 9, the week of the rising of Matariki, the kura continued the our…
Welcome to Western Springs College’s football programme. We have been formally running the programme for 8 years now, with some significant successes.
- Our Girls 1st XI team competed in the Auckland Premiership for the first time in the 2017 season. They have played in the A1 competition in 2018 & 2019. This year the team again provided valuable experience to a number of our year 9 & 10 players. We are excited to continue seeing the increasing number of girls involved in the football programme at WSC.
- Our Boys Senior First XI have played in the Auckland A2 competition since 2014, after achieving back- to-back promotions in 2012 and 2013 (two league titles and a Malcom Cowie Cup). This year the team finished 2nd in the A2 competition by a single point and are looking forward to playing home and away playoff games next year at the back end of Term 1 for promotion into the A1 competition. They also finished 3rd in the 2019 Malcom Cowie Cup to cap off a very successful year.
- Our 2nd XI & Senior B1 Boys teams qualified for the Championship and Reserve 2nd XI competitions in both 2018 & 2019, enforcing the depth of quality players coming through the programme. The 2nd X1 winning the 2019 2nd XI Championship.
- We have been able to for the first time in 2018 & 2019 enter a boys team in the 13A & 14A competitions. These are an exciting group of players, which together with our year 10 & 11 players already playing in the 1st & 2nd XI’s, have the future of our programme looking very exciting.
We believe strongly in working with the players to support and develop their footballing skills, while being mindful of their commitments and opportunities with club football or academic schedules.
Girls and Boys Football is classified as a ‘tier 1’ sport at Western Springs College, and consequently we receive strong support from the College’s Principal and staff.
Over the Summer months and throughout next year, our head coach, John Cunningham, will be running additional educational and trainings sessions for Western Springs Footballers, making use of the new Gym facilities and space available to us with the completion of the new build work at the school. This will include;
- Strength and Performance work leveraging gym programmes
- Speed and Agility training
- Nutrition education
The normal football season will operate from May – September 2020, with training/trials beginning mid- late February. The Girls will play their games on a Wednesday afternoon and the Boys on Saturday mornings.
John has been with us for 8 years and has a wealth of coaching experience. He was the Auckland City FC Youth assistant coach for 3 years, has been the assistant coach for the Central United Senior Premier Men’s team, reaching 2 Chatham Cup finals, and is currently the assistant coach with Metro AFC – we are delighted to have him as our Head Football Coach.
Whether you are an existing or new WSC student in 2020 (Year 9-13), and you are interested in joining the football programme, please follow the link below to provide us with your contact details. We look forward to hearing from you.
Matthew Parker WSC Football Programme Manager firstname.lastname@example.org